It's easy to Go for 2&5. Simply add an extra serve to the meals and snacks you already eat. Here's how:
- Top toast with cooked mushrooms, tomatoes, capsicum or sweet corn
- Chop and add to an omelette or savoury pancake
- Heat chopped leftover vegetables and serve as a topping for toast; add an egg or reduced-fat cheese for a more substantial meal.
- Top English muffins or crumpets with diced vegetables and sprinkle with reduced-fat cheese for a quick mini pizza
- Serve carrot and celery sticks, florets of broccoli and cauliflower, and strips of capsicum with a low fat dip
- Grate or dice onion, carrot, zucchini, potato and corn into a savoury muffin or pikelet mixture
- Grate beetroot and butternut pumpkin to add colour to your salad or sandwich.
- Make meat go further by adding extra vegetables in a stir-fry or casserole
- Add vegies in season or legumes (e.g. dried beans, peas or lentils) to soups for added flavour and taste.
- Serve main meals with cooked vegetables or a salad
- Try capsicum, zucchini, pumpkin, eggplant, cabbage and lettuce leaves as edible containers with savoury fillings.
- For easy wedges, cut potato, sweet potato, pumpkin and parsnip into wedges; microwave until cooked; mix with a teaspoon of vegetable oil, dried mixed herbs and seasoning, and grill until crispy.
Add extra vegies, dried peas, beans or lentils to recipes for:
- meatloaves, patties and stuffings
- stews and casseroles
- pasta and rice dishes
- Add to breakfast cereal or yogurt
- Top toast with sliced bananas
- Grate apple or pear into pancake mix
- Blend soft fruit like bananas, strawberries or tinned fruit with skim milk, yoghurt, and ice for a frothy fruit smoothie
- Pack fresh fruit for a quick snack at any time
- Freeze bananas, grapes, strawberries and oranges for an icy snack
- Puree fruit and pour into ice-block moulds to add to drinks
- Add fresh or dried fruit to muffin or cake mixtures
- Include dried fruit in recipes for stuffings
- Add fruit to savoury salads
- Add fruit to baked fish or chicken
- Add chopped dried fruit to couscous (eg. apricots or apple)
- Chop fruit into bite-sized pieces and thread onto skewers for a colourful kebab
- Cut fruit into pieces and add to a parfait glass with yogurt
- Serve fresh seasonal fruit for dessert
- Puree stewed fruit as a topping for desserts or swirl into yogurt